Monday, October 22, 2007

Pity the Bees: Fake Halloween Cobwebs Kill


You may have heard about the mysterious disappearance of honeybees, which would have huge consequences for farmers and growers needing crops and plants pollinated, which in turn affects the food chain. How does this connect to your Halloween celebration?

Let me share: A few years ago, my kids and I decorated for Halloween by placing that poly-spun cobweb stuff on our rosemary bushes near our outdoor entry. A few days later we heard bees -- not the usual hum of bees doing their nectar-gathering thing, but bees in severe distress. Upon inspection, we discovered dozens of bees trapped by a single poly thread in the cobwebs. The threads seemed to stick to their legs, rendering them unable to fly or get away.

My advice: don't use this stuff outdoors. Your neighborhood bees will thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip- I'll do it!!